The Elliot Green Law Offices is a domestic violence attorney in Brooklyn, New York who can assist you if you are considering divorcing your abusive spouse or leaving an abusive relationship. The time when domestic violence victims are in the most danger is when they make the decision to leave an abusive relationship. According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, if you are planning to leave an abusive relationship, it is important to have a safety plan in place. A safety plan should include an assessment of the level of risk that your partner can pose to you, your children, and your pets, and determining the best way to leave (in some cases, it might be best to leave first and then tell your partner), and putting legal protections in place. The Elliot Green Law Offices are domestic violence lawyers in Brooklyn, New York who can help you plan ahead so that you can protect yourself financially, emotionally, and physically. If you are considering leaving an abusive relationship, you are not alone. The Elliot Green Law Offices can help you.
The Importance of Having a Safety Plan When Leaving an Abusive Relationship
If your partner has been violent towards you or your children, the risk that he or she will become violent when you tell him or her you plan to leave might be high. It is important to take legal, financial, emotional, and physical steps to protect yourself and your children. What are some things to keep in mind if you are thinking of leaving an abusive relationship?
- Plan for how you will keep yourself and your children safe should your partner become violent when you tell him or her you plan to leave. This can include packing your bags, leaving an extra set of clothes at a friend or family member’s house, or having a friend or family member “on call” on the day you plan to let your partner know you are leaving. You may want to have your phone ready to call emergency numbers or instruct your children on how they can get help should things turn violent. Finally, if you have reason to believe your partner may become violent when you let him or her know you are leaving, you may simply want to pack your bags when he or she is not home, go, and inform him or her from a safe distance.
- Seek legal help. Leaving an abusive marriage can bring with it unique challenges. You’ll want to protect your children. An abusive spouse might sometimes use finances or money to control or manipulate you (a form of financial abuse). If you are concerned about how divorcing an abusive spouse might impact your finances, consider speaking to the domestic violence lawyers at the Elliot Green Law Offices in Brooklyn, New York. Our firm may be able to assist you in using the integrated domestic violence courts to get a restraining order. We may also be able to assist you in taking steps to protect your child custody rights, protect your finances, and fight to help you protect your rights in general during your divorce.
- Seek community and family help. Social connection and support is incredibly important, especially if you are leaving an abusive situation. Talk to friends and family about what you are going through, or seek out support groups for others in your situation. Seek legal help to protect your legal rights.
If you have been a victim of domestic violence, and are considering divorce or are thinking of leaving your spouse, it is important to seek help. You don’t have to navigate this process alone. The Elliot Green Law Offices are domestic violence lawyers who assist victims who are seeking a divorce in Brooklyn, New York.
Divorce and Domestic Violence in Brooklyn, New York
In Brooklyn, New York, individuals who are seeking a divorce and who also have suffered domestic violence have a unique challenge of navigating the criminal system and the family courts. Fortunately, New York has an integrated domestic violence system to make it easier for families to navigate both systems. Divorce, when domestic violence is an issue, can be far more complex than divorce in other situations. Why?
- Child custody matters are more critical and may be more contentious. It is important to protect your children from a violent or abusive partner. However, the courts tend to favor granting both parents custody and both parents the right to see their children. Finding an arrangement that both protects your children while also preserving a relationship with both parents can be challenging. Supervised visitation may be an option. The Elliot Green Law Offices are domestic violence lawyers in Brooklyn, New York who may be able to help you navigate these added challenges.
- Financial abuse may be an issue. Violent partners may use money or finances to control their spouses. If you don’t have access to bank accounts or if your spouse controls your money, it can feel overwhelming to seek out legal help. The Elliot Green Law Offices are domestic violence lawyers who may be able to help you if you have been a victim of financial abuse. Our lawyers can also help you understand your rights when it comes to dividing assets, property, and debts in an abusive marriage.
- Leaving and telling your spouse you want a divorce can put you in physical danger. It is important to take steps to protect yourself financially, emotionally, physically, and legally before you leave your spouse. A domestic violence lawyer can help you take steps to secure your bank accounts and protect yourself legally if you plan to leave an abusive marriage. Contact the Elliot Green Law Offices today to learn more.
These are just some of the added issues that individuals in abusive situations face. If you are leaving an abusive partner, or are planning to get divorced from an abusive partner, reach out to the Elliot Green Law Offices in Brooklyn, New York today. You do not have to navigate this alone.