Leaving an abusive marriage can be one of the most courageous decisions a person can make. The cycles of abuse can be insidious and can often be difficult to see in the early stages of a relationship. By the time many individuals choose to leave an abusive marriage, physical violence or serious forms of emotional abuse may have taken place. What steps can you take if you are thinking of leaving an abusive marriage? Here are some things to consider:
- Do you need an order of protection? An order of protection may require that an abusive partner move out of your home. If you are married to a person who has been physically abusive or are living with a partner who has been verbally threatening you, an order of protection might be one legal means through which you can require an abusive partner to leave your home. The Elliot Green Law Offices are family lawyers in Brooklyn, New York who may be able to assist you with filing an order of protection.
- Do you need to put a safety plan in place? The time when individuals are most at risk of physical violence is when they are in the process of leaving an abusive relationship. Do you have a plan in place to protect your safety and the safety of your children? The Elliot Green Law Offices are family attorneys in Brooklyn, New York who can help you identify legal avenues you may be able to take to protect your safety as you leave an abusive marriage.
- Contact a family law attorney. Leaving an abusive marriage can raise many questions. If you and your former partner shared bank accounts or debts, you might be struggling with financial abuse or may have questions about how you’ll survive financially during or after your divorce. If you have children with your former partner, your former partner may have tried to use the children to control you. You might be worried about how child custody matters will be resolved if you choose to leave. A family law attorney like the Elliot Green Law Offices in Brooklyn, New York can help you with questions of child custody during your divorce. Our firm can also answer other questions, like: “Am I entitled to receive alimony?” And “what legal options do I have if I want my abusive partner to move out of the family home right away?”
The Elliot Green Law Offices are divorce lawyers in Brooklyn, New York who offer compassionate and caring counsel to victims of domestic violence. If you are thinking of leaving an abusive marriage, it is important to take steps to protect your safety and the safety of your children. The Elliot Green Law Offices are divorce lawyers in Brooklyn who can help you understand your legal options and rights.
Is My Marriage Abusive?
Domestic violence and abuse is insidious. One of the reasons why this is so is that victims may not always be aware that they are in an abusive marriage or situation. Abuse and violence can escalate with time. The actions of an abusive partner may start small, and then get worse. What are some signs that your marriage might be abusive? According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, some signs of abuse can include:
- Frequent insults and put downs
- Financial control (controls how you spend money, or denies you access to family accounts)
- Tries to control who you can and cannot see and speak to
- Prevents you from working or going to school
- Breaks things, threatens or harms pets, or threatens to break or harm people or things
- Uses guns, knives, or weapons to threaten you or your children
- Pressures you to have sex or guilts you into sex
- Forces you to use drugs or alcohol, especially if you have a drug or alcohol problem
- Shows extreme jealousy about family, friends, and co-workers
These are just some of the signs that you might be in an abusive relationship. Abuse can be incredibly isolating. It can take great courage to leave, because an abusive partner may have isolated you from friends and family. You may not have control of your finances and may be wondering how you’ll afford to leave. If you have questions about your rights, contact the Elliot Green Law Offices, a family lawyer in Brooklyn, New York today. Our attorneys can help you with various aspects of the legal process, from filing for divorce to seeking sole custody of your children, to pursuing alimony.
Seek Help Today
You are not alone. The Elliot Green Law Offices are divorce lawyers in Brooklyn, New York who can help you with various aspects of leaving an abusive marriage. Our firm may be able to assist you with getting an order of protection, which can protect both you and your children as you navigate various aspects of the divorce process. USAttorneys.com can connect you with the Elliot Green Law Offices today, divorce attorneys in Brooklyn, New York.