BROOKLYN, New York. The decision to get divorced can be one of the toughest choices anyone can make. Many couples wait until the holiday season has passed to finalize their choice to get divorced. If you are finding that divorce is your New Year’s resolution. Here are some things to keep in mind.
- Decide and stick to it. If you are still considering getting divorced, ask yourself if you have exhausted all your options. Have you seen a marriage counselor? Will you really be happy on your own? The fantasy of the single life can be far different from reality. If you have truly exhausted all your options, and divorce is in your future, decide and stick to it. Vacillating will only cost you more money, time, and emotional energy. Once you get the ball rolling on your divorce, it is important to move forward with determination and to have a plan.
- Have a plan in place. Have you spoken to your partner about wanting a divorce? If you haven’t had this conversation yet, consider planning first. In fact, it might be wise to speak to a qualified divorce lawyer like the Elliot Green Law Offices in Brooklyn, New York. Our firm can help you understand your rights, options, and responsibilities, and can help you take steps to protect yourself legally and financially. According to Pop Sugar, you may need to speak to a financial advisor so that you can better understand what your financial landscape will be like after divorce. Dividing financial accounts, assets, property, and debt can be challenging, so it’s important to understand what you’ll need before you begin the process. For example, will you need to ask for alimony? Will you need to get a job or a better job to afford living on your own? These tough questions should be addressed before you break the news to your spouse.
- If you have children, take steps to protect their interests. One of the most challenging aspects of divorce will involve your child custody decisions. While divorce can be difficult on children in the short term, children are often better off living in two happy homes rather than in one divided home where anger and resentment is present. Consider seeking the guidance of a counselor to help yourself and your children emotionally as you navigate the changes to come. If you plan to leave the family home when getting divorced, speak to a lawyer because any choices you make could impact your child custody arrangement. If you want custody of your children, you’ll need to establish that you are your children’s primary caretaker.
- Seek support. Talk to trusted friends and family about your decision to get divorced before you begin the process. Divorce is likely going to be one of the most difficult decisions you’ll ever make and will likely be one of the most challenging times in your life. You need a strong support network in place.
- Take care of yourself. Have a plan in place for self-care before you begin the process. According to the Huffington Post, one of the best ways to fight depression is to exercise regularly. Make sure you are getting enough to eat. Avoid alcohol and other drugs. And give yourself space to feel your feelings.
If you are thinking about getting divorced in the New Year, now is the time to begin planning. Speak to the divorce attorneys at the Elliot Green Law Offices in Brooklyn, New York today to learn more.
Elliot Green Law Offices
32 Court Street, Suite 404
Brooklyn, NY 11201