BROOKLYN, New York. Divorce can be one of the most challenging times in anyone’s life. It is understandable to want to get the legal and financial questions answered as soon as possible. However, during the process of getting divorced, individuals sometimes make mistakes. When it comes to mistakes made in divorce, these errors can haunt individuals for years to come. Decisions made about child custody are often difficult to change. Financial decisions made during divorce can be tough to reverse. What are the top divorce mistakes? Here are 5:
- Relying on Google search to get divorce advice. The internet can be a great resource, but it shouldn’t be your only resource. Speak to a qualified divorce attorney before making any decisions or signing any papers. The Elliot Green Law Offices are Brooklyn, New York divorce lawyers who offer our clients personalized attention. We can help you understand your rights and help you seek the best possible solution for your family and financial health. According to Forbes, the internet offers a wealth of information, but the information may not always be right for your given case. Having a qualified lawyer to help you navigate the information overload is essential.
- Rushing to sign divorce papers. It makes sense that you’ll want to finalize your divorce as soon as possible. Divorce is painful and you want to move forward with your life. However, making financial decisions about assets and debts may require other steps in the process. For example, you may have to sell the family home. You may need to take time to understand what your children’s needs are. Divorce can take time. Rushing to sign paperwork can result in lost rights, lost money, and an outcome that no party wants.
- Getting divorced when emotional wounds are fresh. According to USA Today, some couples get divorced before they have taken time to process the wounds of a broken relationship. This can lead to families making decisions out of spite or anger, rather than from a place of what is fair and what is in each party’s best interest. Before going for the throat, consider mediation with a qualified divorce lawyer. You may also even want to take the time to see a counselor before making the crucial financial and child custody decisions that will impact your life for years to come. Make these decisions from reason, not out of emotion.
- Not being realistic about the house. If you don’t have cash on hand, and can’t afford to keep your home on your own, you may need to sell. Some former couples have even found arrangements where they both continue living in the home. Whatever your decision, it is important to be realistic about whether either party can afford the house on their own.
- Not finding the right divorce lawyer. Finding the right divorce lawyer is a highly personal process. You’ll want an attorney you trust. Consider speaking to several lawyers before making a decision. The Elliot Green Law Offices are Brooklyn, New York divorce attorneys who are happy to meet with you to learn more about your needs.